Thursday, April 1, 2010

Day 06: A song that reminds me of somewhere

Short entry today, which will doubtless come as a profound relief to anyone who's actually ploughed their way through the previous five posts. Anyway, I don't have a great deal to say about today's song - it's a great piece of music, and has played an important role at various points in my life, and that's really all there is to it.



When I was a young child, we spent two years living abroad, in Botswana. My parents both worked as teachers in local schools,
and my sister and I went to the local nursery/primary school. Honestly, I remember virtually nothing of my life before that - a few vague images, but nothing concrete - so almost all of my earliest memories stem from those two years.

While we were out there, one of my parents' friends took it upon himself to send us the occasional package, including various then-current LPs recorded onto cassette tape. Those tapes, and the records they contained, were among my earliest experiences of music, and some of the songs I listened to in those days are still tremendously important to me. This is one of them, and it unfailingly carries me back to sitting in the baking desert heat on the back seat of our battered old Ford Cortina, bouncing across the rutted, clay-red roads on the way home.

No comments: